QUICK WAYS TO SPEAK UP ON CLIMATE CHANGE THIS SUMMER
This 30 June to 8 July, be part of something incredible: a national conversation on how climate change is affecting the life we love. Here are some tips on how to get involved if you're short of time, but full of passion.
Attend your MP's surgery
Attending your MP's surgery is the perfect way to have a climate heart-to-heart your MP and encourage them to be a champion for climate solutions—it's simple to get started and you can either go by yourself or ask a few others to come along with you. Get started with these simple steps:
- Find out who your MP is and contact their office to set a date: Find out who your MP is and how to contact them by calling the House of Commons enquiry line on 020 7219 4272 or visiting theyworkforyou.com. Get in touch with their office to set a date and time for your visit—most MPs hold surgeries once a week.
- Find common ground: Your surgery visit is a unique moment to find common ground with your MP and to learn from each other. Start by talking about why action on climate change is important to you and how it is affecting your constituency. Bring them pages 3 and 4 of the briefing and ask them to support stronger climate ambition.
- Follow up: Follow up with a thank you letter or email thanking them for speaking with you and remind them of any commitments they made.
Email or write to your MP
This Speak Up Week, people everywhere will be encouraging their MPs to show their support for a cleaner future by signing up to a joint letter to the Prime Minister asking her to back a UK net zero emissions target before 2050. You can help increase the UK's ambition on climate change by emailing or writing to them and asking them to sign up to the joint letter.
- Find out who your MP is and how to contact them: Find out who your MP is and how to contact them by calling the House of Commons enquiry line on 020 7219 4272 or visiting theyworkforyou.com.
- Download the MP template letter: Download the template MP letter and personalise it to send to your MP. Remember, your MP will want to hear about why climate change is important to you and how it's affecting your constituency.
- Download the joint letter: Download the joint letter and attach it to your email or print it off to include with your MP template letter. You can also direct your MP here so they can see which other MPs have signed up to the letter.
Find a Speak Up event near you
Speak Up Week events are popping up in all corners of the country, and there are lots of ways to help support them!
- Spread the word about an event: Whether or not you can attend an event, you can spread the word about one so others in your area can attend and help ensure as many people as possible Speak Up for a cleaner future. Tweet now to help make some noise (and don't forget to add your own personal touch!)
- Lend a helping hand to an event: Did you know that each event on the map has its very own comment section? Simply register on the map, click on an event and click 'comment' to get in touch with the organiser to see how you can help support their event. This is a great way to see if you can help co-organise, promote the event within your own networks, or bring food or drinks along!
#SpeakUp on social media: Wear snd share a green heart
Can't attend an event? Be there in spirit by wearing a green heart with pride and sharing a photo of it on social media along with the hashtag #SpeakUp. You can even share a special message about why you're speaking up alongside your heart and tweeting it to your MP. Get started with our template social media posts:
I believe in a future where the UK no longer contributes to #climatechange. I'm wearing my 💚 to #SpeakUp with @theccoalition to help make this future a reality
I'm wearing my (green!) heart 💚 on my sleeve to #SpeakUp with @theccoalition for a world without #climatechange. Will you join me?
What do you want to protect from #climatechange? I'm wearing my 💚to #SpeakUp for [insert what you care about] as part of the @theccoalition's #SpeakUp Week of Action